Thursday, October 20, 2005

Truth in Music

Fernando Ortega is one of my personal favorite artists. I love him because he doesn't settle for surfacy, unrealistic song lyrics. I once heard it said that you can scratch the surface and find loose change, or you can dig deep and find gold. I have personally found his Storm album to dig deep.

I am so grateful that God took delight in creating music; that He sings (Zeph. 3:17). Music is just amazing. Think about it! God has created us in His image, and has designed nature in such a way that we can produce the beautiful combination of sounds we know as music.

We were designed to bear the image of our Creator. Even though we have all been affected by the Fall, there are still traces of beauty. Some of us (namely the church) can recognize beauty for what it truly is, through the lens of Christ (Truth). This provides the church with the ability to express and portray true beauty through creative and artistic means such as music.

Music overflowing from seeing the Truth and creation for what it truly is--this is the most beautiful music to listen to. In this sense, it is obvious from experiencing the music and lyrics of Fernando Ortega that he has been graced with a deeper view of sense of beauty than the vast majority of the musical artists on the airwaves today.

Below are lyrics from one of my favorite Ortega songs. What are your favorite songs, and why are they your favorites?

CRISTINA’S DREAM


Instrumental

Angels

Eternal God, unchanging
Mysterious and unknown
Your boundless love unfailing
In grace and mercy shown
Bright seraphim in ceaseless flight
Around your glorious throne
Their voices raised both day and night
In praise to you alone

Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God
Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!

Lord, we are weak and frail,
Helpless in the storm
Surround us with your angels
Hold us in your arms
Our cold and ruthless enemy
His pleasure is our harm
Rise up, oh Lord, and he will flee
Before our Sovereign God

Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!
Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!

Let every creature in the sea
And every flying bird
Let all the mountains, all the fields
And valleys of the earth
Let all the moons and all the stars
Throughout the universe
Sing praises to the Living God
Who rules them by His word

Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God
Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna S. said...

I LOVE MUSIC. It is like a different language -- a language in which you can express what you cannot with just words... (Did that sound too melodramatic? Ah well, it's how I really feel.)

Music has the ability to move people's emotions, and to allow people to remember truths in songs about Christ... I just found out today that some of our new Japanese students really enjoy the song "Blessed be your Name" that we sing at the International BSU. They heard it on the radio a few days ago and they got really excited and were singing along to it! They are memorizing words to a song that rejoice in God's sovereignty and goodness no matter what the circumstance... praise the Lord! Please pray that the meaning of the words will sink in and that the Holy Spirit will work on their hearts...

I really love songs that depict poignant images in your mind. One great example of this is by a legend in Christian rock music, Steve Taylor. One of my favorite songs by him is called "The Finish Line" - it is a great image of Hebrews 12:1-2, running the race. Read the lyrics by checking out this link:

http://www.sockheaven.net/music/albums/squint/05.html

If you want to borrow the CD please let me know (it's not really produced anymore, I think, so it may be difficult to procure otherwise). I WISH I could write like this... one day, perhaps.

Great topic, Russ.. I hope I haven't rambled too much about this.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree donna. Music expresses so much more than just a normal conversation can. That's why there's so many love songs. It's one thing to say "I love you." but it's a totally new level when you write someone a song about how much you love her/him.

I think i'd have to say my favorite song writer (lyrically) is Derek Webb. He just communicates truth so boldly and clearly. And right up there with him is nicole nordeman. She tells stories so vividly through her songs. It blows me away. songs like Seasons and Why and Brave....oh man, and River God and Tremble. Those are 2 of my favorites by her. They tell a story, have beautiful melodies and really, just make me stand in awe of God.

Music is so much a part of my soul. It is so exciting to know that God sings over me. I get to sing to him too even when I am gross and don't deserve to be in his presence, he lets me sing for him.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wow. That really is a great song. I will have to go to Amazon and see if I can hear a sample of it.

As a wise person once said, "Music is the language of the soul."

7:53 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

Sorry guys! I am swamped! If I can just get through this next week, I should have more time. Wait...Don't I say this every week??

11:55 AM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

Lisa - are you quoting me AGAIN?? ;)

Russ - no worries. I think we are all struggling with stuff to post. Luckily, my roommates (Lisa and Jen) and I have had a fascination with taking pictures lately so it has supplemented my lack of time to post something meaningful. So, my suggestion is to you: start taking random pictures and post them until after finals. :)

Seriously, post when you have time and don't worry about the times that you don't have time. We will forgive you... seven times.

Seventy times seven is just too much to ask.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

I have never heard this hymn sang before, I have only seen the words and fell in love with it. From Horatius Bonar.

HY WAY, NOT MINE, O LORD
Thy way, not mine, O Lord,
However dark it be;
Lead me by Thine own hand,
Choose out the path for me.

Smooth let it be or rough,
It will be still the best;
Winding or straight, it leads
Right onward to Thy rest.

I dare not choose my lot;
I would not, if I might;
Choose Thou for me, my God,
So I shall walk aright.

Take Thou my cup, and it
With joy or sorrow fill,
As best to Thee may seem;
Choose Thou my good and ill.

Choose Thou for me my friends,
My sickness or my health;
Choose Thou my cares for me
My poverty or wealth.

The kingdom that I seek
Is Thine: so let the way
That leads to it be Thine,
Else I must surely stray.

Not mine, not mine the choice
In things or great or small;
Be Thou my Guide, my Strength
My Wisdom, and my All.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter