Thursday, September 15, 2005

Anxiety

Is anyone else out there experiencing the pressure that life can sometimes create? Sometimes my life falls right in line with the lyrics of that Alabama song, "I'm In A Hurry And Don't Know Why". Now is one of those times. My first Greek test is tomorrow, and I can assure you that it is going to leave me humbled. I never know what is going to be waiting for me me in my inbox when I walk into my office every day. I am taking on the responsibility of leading a small group Bible study at my church. My trip to Italy in December is requiring a lot of planning. It has just been one of those days where I relied too much on myself, and I felt the weight of anxiety. As a result, my ministry to other people suffered.

Why do we feel anxiety? I suggest that it is due to the fact that we are looking inward rather than Christward. We lose sight of the freedom we have in Jesus. We dwell on our earthly situation rather than our eternal destination. We feel the burden of indebtedness to Christ, when we should know that we have nothing but filthy rags to offer Him. It is a free gift. The only way to glorify God is to accept it and SAVOR IT. "It is finished." may be my favorite verse in the entire Bible.

People, anxiety is NOT from above; it is from below. Paul charges us to "not be anxious about anything" in Philippians 4. In Psalm 94, we see that the consolations of God delight our souls when our anxious thoughts multiply within us. What this means is this:

IF WE ARE LIVING WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF THE WORD OF GOD, WE ARE WITHIN THE WILL OF GOD. AND THIS FREEDOM SHOULD DELIGHT OUR SOULS! It is not rocket science. Yet we are so good at making the simple things that God enjoys a hybrid of complication and anxiety.

It is for FREEDOM that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not allow yourselves to be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. --Galatians 5:1

Below I have pasted a passage from Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening. I first read this last year in the middle of the woods in Alabama as a camp counselor. It is one of the most refreshing things I have ever read. I believe that Spurgeon does a stellar job of pointing us to the elite cure for anxiety in the face Jesus, the Christ. Enjoy!

“Looking unto Jesus.”

Hebrews 12:2

It is ever the Holy Spirit’s work to turn our eyes away from self to Jesus; but Satan's work is just the opposite of this, for he is constantly trying to make us regard ourselves instead of Christ. He insinuates, “Your sins are too great for pardon; you have no faith; you do not repent enough; you will never be able to continue to the end; you have not the joy of his children; you have such a wavering hold of Jesus.”

All these are thoughts about self, and we shall never find comfort or assurance by looking within. But the Holy Spirit turns our eyes entirely away from self: he tells us that we are nothing, but that “Christ is all in all.” Remember, therefore, it is not thy hold of Christ that saves thee—it is Christ; it is not thy joy in Christ that saves thee—it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, though that be the instrument—it is Christ's blood and merits; therefore, look not so much to thy hand with which thou art grasping Christ, as to Christ; look not to thy hope, but to Jesus, the source of thy hope; look not to thy faith, but to Jesus, the author and finisher of thy faith. We shall never find happiness by looking at our prayers, our doings, or our feelings; it is what Jesus is, not what we are, that gives rest to the soul.

If we would at once overcome Satan and have peace with God, it must be by “looking unto Jesus.” Keep thine eye simply on him; let his death, his sufferings, his merits, his glories, his intercession, be fresh upon thy mind; when thou wakest in the morning look to him; when thou liest down at night look to him. Oh! let not thy hopes or fears come between thee and Jesus; follow hard after him, and he will never fail thee.

“My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness:
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.”

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It reminds me of this old song:

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
Weak and wounded, sick and sore.
Jesus ready stands to save you,
Full of pity, love and pow'r.

I will arise and go to Jesus!
He will embrace me in His arms.
In the arms of my dear Savior,
O, there are ten thousand charms!


Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
God’s free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance,
Every grace that brings you nigh.

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall.
If you tarry till you’re better,
You will never come at all.

. . . and here are some verses you may not have seen, that blow me away . . .

View Him prostrate in the garden!
On the ground your Maker lies.
On the bloody tree behold Him!
Sinner, will this not suffice?

Lo! th’incarnate God ascended,
Pleads the merit of His blood.
Venture on Him! Venture wholly!
Let no other trust intrude.

Let not conscience make you linger,
Nor of fitness fondly dream.
All the fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him.

Amen and amen!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Mark Redfern said...

Good reminder, Russ. Anxiety is rooted in the sin of unbelief ("...O, you of little faith.") But, it is glorious just to trust Jesus and roll our burdens onto Him. George Mueller reminded me when reading in his autobiography was the way that he maintained his joy in the Lord was by rolling his burdens onto Him.

Thank the Lord for anxious times - He is calling us back to Himself in dependence and trust.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

This post spoke poignantly to me -- there are times when the concerns in this world are almost suffocating.. and then you get a flat tire (this happened today).

As I was driving to work this morning I began to think about some pressing (and considerably important) issues in my life... but then I realized that I was meditating on problems rather than meditating and attending to the solution: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:6-7).

Thanks for the encouragement and exhortation, Russ -- I will be praying for you and the Lord's work in your life in the coming months. Please pray for me as well and His work in and around me: that I would continuously point all glory to God alone and that I would learn a steadfast thankfulness and trust in the bleakest situations.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Bolo said...

Thanks, Russ, for the thoughts...they lifted my heavy head :)

BTW, took a trip up to South Bend to see the Irish play. Great Sorrow, as Dr. Betts would say. Go check out the pics and thoughts...your inner sports junkie will appreciate it, I've no doubt.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter