Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I Belong to Jesus

These pictures were taken of three of the biggest soccer stars in Italy. Kaka (above) was raised by Christian parents in Brazil. He leads Bible studies and is very active in sharing his faith (as you can tell). This pic was taken after he dribbled through the entire opposing team to score a game-winning goal for international powerhouse, AC Milan.

Adriano (right) is a newborn believer who plays for Inter Milan. He was led to Christ by Ze Maria (below). This picture was taken after he scored 3 GOALS in one game; the day after he gave his life to Christ.


I was told by Jason, one of our IMB missionaries, that the closest equivalent to these gestures would be Terrell Owens doing this after he scored a huge game-winning touchdown in the NFL. Yet it was much more dramatic being that these men have made a much weightier anti-cultural statement than Terrell Owens has ever dreamed of making. In what has been labeled as a post-Christian culture in which only 1% are believed to be Protestant, these actions provide a powerful and radical contrast. He said the media was bedazzled. "Uhh...It looks as if Adriano is referring to the letter of St. Paul to the Philippians here..."

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. --2 Corinthians 5:17

8 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

Russ..their actions remind me of the song I'm listening to right now

"Beautiful One I love, Beautiful I adore, Beautiful One, My Soul Must Sing..."

How amazing is our God that He will raise up worshippers to His name..He will never leave Himself without witness and I praise God you have a heart for the Italian people! I just may see you there one day!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog entry, Russ! It was great chatting with you the other night.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

Praise God... wow.

I can't help but think about what these men will be able to say when they are with the Lord. My guess is that they will not tell others, "Yeah, I was a big soccer star." Rather, they can say, "I played soccer so that the name of Christ could be proclaimed and exalted before a fallen people." Sure puts things in perspective...

7:04 PM  
Blogger vandorsten said...

That's awesome... I know some missionaries in Italy and I'm told it's 'rocky soil' so for these guys to be so blatant in their faith - very cool.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Russ,
That is awesome. I was watching Kaka play today on tv. I had no idea. This is another reason why more people need to be raised up to go to Italy and proclaim the good news. I love soccer and it is an amazing platform, especially in Europe. Talk to you soon. Every day is Greek day except on Fall Break. Ha ha.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello- I came across your blog from a stream of other friend's blogs. To be honest- I don't even know how I got here. But, I was reading that you are going to Italy in December? Will you work with IMB Missionaries? The reason I am asking- I am a Journeygirl and have been on the field for a year. Some of Journeymen people are taking a vaction next summer- and would like to go to Italy. Being Missionaries and well, not having the most of funds- we would like to go somewhere where there is a 'guest house' or the like (And normally missionaries in the country know of these types of places). Italy is 'central' for us- I am in Middle America- others in Africa and Asia... so our choices for vacation are either Italy in Europe or Dubai in the Middle East. So, do you have contacts there? We would really appreciate it! I know this is a random question - but one that I would love to hear back on because the words- "Vacation with people my age"- is just a beautiful combination of words. You can check out my blog if you want... amyinmexico.blogspot
And you can e-mail me from there- or leave a comment. Thanks so much Russ!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT POST, RUSS!

How's the prep for Italy going? Do you have a prayer team put together? Will the prayer team get a calendar with specific requests? Do you have time answer these Q's? Or should I find out the answers from my daughter?

Inquiring minds/hearts want to know.

fbc@bresnan.net

8:58 AM  
Blogger Bolo said...

Wow. Wow. That's amazing stuff :)

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter