Monday, October 10, 2005

Where The Streets Have No Name

I woke up feeling like I had been run over by a logging truck this morning, so I decided to stay home from work and class. Ended up sleeping until...11:30!! I honestly cannot remember sleeping that late since the day after hell week was over with my fraternity in college.

For those of you who may be curious, the toast went great this weekend. I got to share what God has done in my life with three of my old running buddies from high school. On the way home, I could not help but to feel overwhelmed at what God had done in and around my life since I left my home town in 2000. I experienced the grace of God in a deep and powerful way on that drive. Why me? Why would God choose me as opposed to my other friends? I was no better. I had done nothing but lead people away from Christ with my hypocritic behavior in high school and the early part of college.

I now look back on my life in reflection and am humbled. The infinite ocean of peace and joy I now experience with a clean conscience in the righteousness of Christ is unmatched by any mud puddle this world can offer me. I just looked into these men's eyes and I saw and felt the pain and guilt of their slavery. One of them, who is divorced with a kid at age 24, once told me that the only reason he is still alive is his son. I looked at him in the eyes and told him that if he waited until he was clean, he would never come at all. I am NO better, and neither is anyone. We are all FILTHY RAGS who have gone astray. Some will live and die in slavery. Some will die clothed in Christ alone, justified by a faith that was given them by the just and the justifier, God Almighty (Romans 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Ephesians 2:8-9).

Today, I sat on my couch and watched my room mate's U2: Live from Dublin's Slain Castle DVD. Hundreds of thousands of fans formed an ocean of energy as U2 began to sing their mega hit, "Where The Streets Have No Name". I am so thankful for the common grace that God gave this band to produce such beautiful sound. As the song was sung, I couldn't help but to imagine what it must have been like to be in the middle of that crowd as Bono did his thing. Then I began to ponder what the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ could be like...And, along with that, what heaven will be like.

Attempt to imagine the following:

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, "Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!"
-Revelation 7:9-10

Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, "Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready;
--Revelation 19:6-8

He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
--Colossians 1:13-14

I just do not believe that U2 can hang with that. This is the Kingdom we proclaim. Should not we live with a greater sense of urgency? Not only should we be motivated by the reality of hell, but we should also be motivated by the reality of redemption in the face of the Christ. The Kingdom of heaven is a proclamation, not an invitation. Why? It is the TRUTH!

Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.
--Colossians 1:28-29

12 Comments:

Blogger J. C. Ashby said...

Tonight, I just finished a chapter in Packer's "Knowing God" - talking about God's grace. And then I happened to stumble upon your post...

I don't believe in coincidences - just God's sovereignty. :)

Thanks for sharing this, Russ. It reminds me again that eternity truly IS written on the hearts of Mankind (Ecclesiastes 3:11), and we - as redeemed believers - have every reason to be dancing thru our days of preparation in this life for the next...the REAL life. :) Since my Dad passed this summer, I know that he finally understands what this must be like. I find myself thinking on this more and more.

Yet, even more so, this should compel our hearts to bleed for those (like your friend) who have yet to know His Presence dwelling from within - to know what it is to be Reconciled b/c of Christ. May the reality of THAT love drive us to those who, at this moment, are living on the named streets of Louisville.

God bless! - Jen

11:24 PM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

Glad the weekend went well, Russ -- what did you end up saying in your toast?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Russ...glad you got some sleep..it shows in your post..although I personally like the 3 am posts as well...

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I have that DVD and it leaves me feeling the same everytime I view it. I also have a disc of them performing "Where the Streets Have No Name" at the Super Bowl which immediately followed 9/11 in New Orleans, LA. The emotion of that show was phenomenal and leaves me wondering how everything really will be. There's just something about seeing The Edge crying as he tries to complete the closing lines of the song on guitar.

10:03 PM  
Blogger vandorsten said...

Well said.

I noticed that in your profile photo you have a large Argentine flag in the background.

Been there? From there?

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HIM we proclaim. The Gospel is really so simple.
My blog's most recent post is about Gospel ABC's: it's the Gospel presentation I'm sharing next Wednesday night at our Awana club. Even a child can understand!

HIM we proclaim. The Gospel is really only about Jesus.
If you know Jesus, you know enough to lead someone to Him. Let the Holy Spirit do the convicting and convincing -- you just introduce folks to Jesus.

A young lady came to my office recently for help -- she needed help with what to tell her public defendant lawyer, so she could perhaps plea bargain her aggravated assualt charge down to a simple misdemeanor. I ended up getting to share the Gospel with her: it's so simple.

But we really just need to be willing. I know you're willing, Russ, and that's what blesses me so when I read your blog. Your Jesus-heart shows.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

Thanks for the encouraging comments! I believe I am the busiest I have ever been in my life, but that is a good thing. The bad news is that I don't have a lot of time or leftover brain power to generate a solid entry as often.

To answer your questions...

1) My toast was centered around loyalty. "...No matter what I end up doing, wherever God ends up leading me, I know that I can always count on Ryan to be there. Megan is getting a man of humility, integrity, and faithfulness...Thanks for always being there, Ryan...etc..."

Isn't it great how God reveals things about Himself through friendship and marriage? The church trusts Christ with His direction. Why? Because He is perfectly loyal and trustworthy. The church does not focus on earthly situations and circumstances; it focuses on and LOVES Christ. Everything else is secondary. Jesus Christ, the Bridegroom, is all in all; beyond beautiful in the eyes of the church.

2) I spent 2 months in Argentina 3 years ago on a pioneer team with Campus Outreach. God used that summer to establish a passion for the Great Commission in my heart. I would not be in seminary today if not for that summer.

1:39 PM  
Blogger vandorsten said...

Excellent. What part of Argentina? I spent a little over 2 years (Aug 2000-Nov 2002) in La Plata with Campus Crusade. It was one of the hardest, sweetest times of my life. Ever think of going back?

11:16 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

I was in La Plata! :) How about that cathedral?? And I saw the most amazing sunsets I have ever seen there. We stayed in the penthouse of a tall apartment building kind of across the street from a pizzaria, about 1 mile from the school of business and the school of humanities.

I definitely thought about going back. I even checked into it. However, God began to lead me away from Argentina over the past year. Have you ever thought about going back?

8:46 AM  
Blogger vandorsten said...

That cathedral in Plaza Moreno is pretty sweet, I gotta admit! The first year I was there, I lived waaaay out by the Estudiantes' stadium near the bosque. Year two, we moved right into the heart of the action, a couple blocks down the street from the Facultad de Humanidades!

Would love to go back! Don't know when at this point, but am very open to heading back at the Lord's prompting.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Mark Redfern said...

Come on, Russ! How 'bout an update? You are starting to get some blogwebs on your last post.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

Alright, I am losing momentum!! :) I have been SWAMPED. Once this massive Greek test is over tomorrow, I will have some free time tomorrow night to ramble on! I look forward to reading your blogs again, too. It has just been one of those seasons...

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter