Monday, October 03, 2005

A Late Night Toast

So I have 3 midterms this week. I just finished with the first one, and I think I came out on top. Last night, I was studying with a good friend of mine at Starbucks. It was about 9:30 when I bought a Venti Mocha to keep me alert and on top of my game. By 10:00, I had downed the entire thing and came to the conclusion that I needed something with a little more "kick" to it. So I asked the coffee expert at the cash register to give me another Venti of the strongest stuff they had. 5 minutes later, I was sipping on a frech-pressed concoction with a color and texture very similar to black tar. It definitely needed some creamer, but I didn't think anything of it. I just went at the books with renewed vigor.

When Starbucks began closing at 11:00, I determined that I needed to go home and get some sleep so that I could gear up for a tough week. I got to bed around 11:45. Getting to sleep proved to be quite the adventure! For the first hour, I just laid there with my eyes wide open. Then, I began to get ticked. The next hour consisted of tossing and turning, and trying to put into practive literally every possible sleep technique I had ever learned or heard about; all to absolutely ZERO avail.

I didn't want to get out of bed because I was determined to get to sleep. Yet, at the same time, I wanted to be productive with this time. My clock told me that it was 1:45 in the morning. The anger phase had come and gone. Now it was just me, alone with my thoughts. I began thinking about all I had just studied, along with a plethora of other random things. One of them being the Best Man Toast that I have to give at a good friend's wedding reception this coming weekend.

Should I open with quick one-liner? A personal story? Should I talk about how I was a part in them getting together at the beginning? Should I offer a short prayer of praise? What is the main thing I want to get across with this toast? Then I settled on it.

I am going to discuss, briefly, one of the most crucial attributes that I look for in a true friend. Ryan is one of the most LOYAL people I have ever come in contact with. There is so much that goes into that word--LOYALTY. It involves trust, sacrifice, defense, and a genuine concern for the other's well-being.

God created friendship. And God has established His faithfulness and loyalty. Ryan is one of those few guys in my life that has always been there, an unknowingly faithful witness to what God has created us to reflect in friendship--LOYALTY. That is a lot of what it is all about, right? Life is filled with many trials and sufferings. It moves so fast, as I am experiencing as I get older. What would we do without friends whom we can always count on to be there in the midst of the hurricanes that life throws our way?

I realize this is a different type of blog post. The last time I remember seeing on my clock was 3:30. My lack of sleep is bringing out the sentimental side! I just want to take advantage of this opportunity to challenge us all to both cherish friendship as it was created, and to reflect the character of God in portraying it.

Here's to loyalty!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here here!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

Thankyou...thankyou...

BEWARE THE LATE NIGHT FRENCH-PRESSED COFFEE!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

Thankyou...thankyou...

BEWARE THE LATE NIGHT FRENCH-PRESSED COFFEE!!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

Thankyou...thankyou...

BEWARE THE LATE NIGHT FRENCH-PRESSED COFFEE!!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hey Russ...thanks for saying the same thing three times in a row. Encouraging...very encouraging.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

I find that one cup of regular coffee puts me over the edge - I just end up being twitchy all day.

Sounds like a great toast for your friend - is this the first wedding that you have been in? I was maid of honor once, a bridesmaid 3 other times, sang in one, as well as helping with setup/breakdown in several others. However, I have never had to give the toast (good thing - I'm not the best public speaker). From my experiences in going to weddings (I should be a professional wedding attender/participator), sincerity is the best thing to convey - I've heard some good speeches and some really... um.. not so good ones. But the best have always been from the heart.

Not telling you anything you don't know, but... eh well. Hope you have a great time, and I pray that your midterms go well. Peace out, brothah.. :p

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, we should start a company made up of professional wedding attenders. At the last wedding I went to, some friends and I decided to start a rewards club. You get your card punched once for attending, twice if you are in the wedding party, 3 times if you are related to the bride or groom or if you are maid of honor/best man. Once you reach something like 50 punches, you get a free honeymoon for whenever you get married.....it has some kinks that need to be worked out but that's the basic idea.

Haha....how funny would it be if we actually did that. You walk up to get a piece of cake and there's a guy there to punch your card.

9:59 AM  
Blogger The Fosters said...

It was amusing to observe you downing all that coffee at Starbucks...

10:33 AM  
Blogger Bolo said...

I'm diggin' the professional wedding attenders idea :) Maybe you could even have a Gold Club for those who've accrued a certain amount of points in a certain time span, or bonus categories for the ridiculous and odd (like being in a wedding party and not knowing the bride and groom).

1:36 PM  
Blogger Bolo said...

On another note...I may have to bounce some ideas off your head in a bit...I'm not sure what the reception at Scott and Emily's will involve, but if there's any best man stuff I wanna be well-prepared.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

To the rewards folks...I've attended close to 30 weddings in 3 years..I'd like my free honeymoon now...

My pastor said, "Bethany, I heard yours was the small group to attend if you want to get married." I said, "Dr. Youssef, 25 women can't lie."

3:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Brevity, my friend, is the soul of wit. I think that's from Cliff's Notes. ;) I just can't imagine a blissfully newly-married couple staying mentally tuned in during a ten-minute toast.

Shoot, girl, 30 weddings? If anybody is eligible for a frequent flyer card, it's you!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

You know, Dr. Parker is always saying that "there are plenty of suckers in this world just waiting for the opportunity to be suckered"... this wedding attender-rewards program may be our lucky break! I elect Bethy president of the corporation. :) Erin would be VP, since she made the hilarious comment about the cake cutter/card puncher.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

The grand prize for the most punches is singing the bride and groom's first dance song for them...

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And there has to be extra punches rewarded to the one who catches the bouquet....and a pity punch if you are the last single member of your group of friends...

11:01 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I get the pity punch..possibly three times..for my high school, college and post-college friends..I have NO IDEA what's going on here people! HA!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter