Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Running With Horses

If you have raced with men on foot, and they have wearied you, how will you compete with horses? And if in a safe land you are so trusting, what will you do in the thicket of the Jordan?
-Jeremiah 12:5

While continuing through Jeremiah in prayer and meditation this morning, I was gripped by this verse. In the midst of a busy semester of grad-level classes, work, ministry, and (as of July 1) my wife (God is so FAITHFUL!), I am quite fearful of falling prey to severe weariness. And if I fall prey to weariness, there is a certain wounded lion out there who would love nothing more than to devour me. I do realize that I am not alone. This verse applies to us all.

From another angle, this verse applies very well to the lack of confidence we all have. While at seminary, I have noticed that my confidence has taken quite a hit. I am around some of the most brilliant minds in the world, and I work in quite possibly the hardest-working office in the world (it is such a blessing!). The flip-side of the coin is that my confidence is often drained. I am certain that you can relate this to a number of situations in your own life. I am not smart enough; not quick-tongued enough; not a good speaker; not the most efficient worker for the job; not a good enough writer; not flexible enough; not bold enough; not a good enough husband; not spiritually strong enough; etc..

One of my favorite preachers once said, "I know men who have preached down the barrels of UZI's and you think you are bold because you wear a t-shirt!" If I am lacking in all of the above, how can I possibly expect to run with the horses?? How would I do in the thicket?

The bottom line is this: In my own person, I will grow weary and fail every time. Yet there is a certain Lion that I can ride into battle, expecting victory. In the eyes of men I may be an ant, but in the eyes of my Father I am more than a conquerer while riding Him. Therefore, the only aspect of running that I should constantly be concerned about is how fast I run to Him.

Let the world despise and leave me,
They have left my Savior, too.
Human hearts and looks deceive me;
Thou art not, like them, untrue.
O while Thou dost smile upon me,
God of wisdom, love, and might,
Foes may hate and friends disown me,
Show Thy face and all is bright.

-Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken
Henry Lyte

4 Comments:

Blogger vandorsten said...

"I know men who have preached down the barrels of UZI's and you think you are bold because you wear a t-shirt!"

This is the best quote i've heard all day. Nice post.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

Thanks man! The citation for that quote is Paul Washer, FYI.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Congrats on the marriage Russ!!! You are good enough, smart enough and gosh dernit people like you...ok, I had to get some affirmations in...ha!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Russ, I deeply appreciate your passion about this subject. I never visit your blog without being given something to think about. Thanks.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter