Thursday, April 19, 2007

Lesson from Discipline #2: Wisdom

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights. Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her.
-Proverbs 3: 12-15

There is a blatant difference between education and wisdom. Education gives facts and theories. Wisdom provides true understanding. I am not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Education is needed; it compliments wisdom; it is a good thing. Yet where education ends at its goodness, wisdom begins with its greatness.

I have personally learned that there is no better classroom in which to learn of the Lord's wisdom than in the classroom of His loving discipline. There is a reason that He "reproves him whom He loves, as a father the son in whom he delights" (Prov. 3:12). It is also of no coincidence to find mention of the Lord's loving discipline within the context of a Proverbial passage on wisdom.

The facts and theories relating to my personal situation that I have learned over the years have been seared into my heart through the fires of discipline. There is now a heartfelt understanding of those facts. They are now more than facts and theories. They have become a part of who I am. In essence, it is wisdom that gives sight and clarity to the soul.

For example, I knew that the Lord disciplines his son in whom He delights. However, I could not possibly have understanding apart from the experience of it. Through this discipline, my soul sees God's love for it more clearly. And as my heart sees, with ever-increasing clarity, it produces fruit (Gal. 5) in ever-increasing measure. Praise God for discipline!

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter