Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

For those of you who actually still read this cobwebbed, apathetic blog, my wife and I just watched The Devil Wears Prada at the local discount theater. Those of you who know me realize that a movie that seems to encompass the glorification of steroid-injected vanity and the inescapable presence of man-eating women with a cheezy and predictable romantic subplot would hardly be my top choice of a movie to watch on my Saturday night. However, I found some good in it.

Not all that glitters is gold, yet gold glitters. How, then, are we to know what is truly golden? How are we to know for certain that the life we are living has substance; that it is more than a chasing after meaningless holograms? Answer: A life lived within the will and design of its Creator is a life lived the way it was meant to be lived.

What is the will of God? In a nutshell, the will of God is communicated by the Word of God. Therefore, if we are to truly live, we must live within the bounds He has given us in His Word. I believe that we often make this way too complicated. Feelings should not be the sole authority in our decision-making. The Word of God is the objective standard by which our lives should be lived. In these last days, God has spoken to us by His Son (Hebrews 1:1-10). And what communicates the Son? The Scriptures.

How FREEING this should be! If my life is being lived in light of Scripture, I am in His will. And, because I am living in obedience to Him, I enjoy Him more and glorify Him in the process. Right now, in this moment, I am in the will of God and I am free.

Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.
Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.

All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into Your hands.
All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into Your hands.

For it's only in Your will that I am free,
For it's only in Your will that I am free,
Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.

-Robin Mark

3 Comments:

Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

russ-
will you please post a pic of your wife? I want to see if I know her or not! Congrats on getting married! Marriage is SOOO great! (And a whole new level of sanctification!)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope you update when you get back from Italy!! I feel dumb commenting because your posts are always so great, and I don't think I can add anything to them. Hope you're having a great time.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russ, we need an update on your blog.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter