Monday, April 09, 2007

Lesson from Discipline #1: Pangs

But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
-1 Timothy 6:8-10

How often do we find ourselves negotiating with King Jesus? It is a dangerous practice. We try to move the Immovable. "If you give me this...If you allow me to go to this place...If you allow me to do this, then I will do..."

You can fill in the blanks with disobedience. We should simply admit to King Jesus, "If you allow me to go here/do this/have this, I will most certainly be disobedient." What weakness! Do you know what the root is? Pride in the form of fear. We are scared, so we negotiate. We try to talk ourselves out of being on the front lines of Kingdom advancement. In most cases, it involves an exchange: Pain/uncertainty/risk, for comfort/financial stability/the American Dream.

It is here that I should speak to the casual reader who stumbles upon this cobwebbed, dust-covered blog. This entry is directed to those who call themselves men of God, MYSELF included. I am guilty. I have fallen into the very thing I speak against. Talk is cheap.

Let this be a challenge to those of you who are negotiating with King Jesus: Think long and hard before you choose to disobey. What you should consider most is the fact that He just might let you do it. Will the pangs be worth it?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obedience is best b/c sometimes discipline hurts. I use to think before making decisions b/c I knew the possibilities of a rod or paddle. God knows what is best for us even if we are uncomfortable for the moment. So, we obey or else we pay.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

But don't forget, Russ... the Lord disciplines those whom He loves! :)

Thanks for this reminder that my prayer should always be, "Lord, do not give me over to my sin, but continue to correct me until I become like Christ!"

7:56 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I was just thinking about this subject this past Lord's day. In concerns with a healthy child or a new home or anything else for that matter. I always tend to think that if I could just get this or that then I will be content, but in my old age I am beginning to realize that I have almost everything that I have ever wanted and still want other things, so I know that my only contentment can be found in Him, not in the next best thing. Thanks for finally posting Russell, it's been a long time coming!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Russ said...

Thanks for the comments! This post was a personal reflection on an issue that has hit close to home with me in recent months. I appreciate your thoughts. Very encouraging.

Another observation, based on yours. I personally have a difficult time recognizing God's discipline, initially. During this recent season, I went through so much misery. While I was in the thick of it, I viewed it as pure torture (much like a 2x4 between the eyes). However, looking back on it, I see the loving hand of God was present throughout the entire thing.

Lesson learned, in a nutshell: If the Lord leads you into something and you make a commitment to Him, be faithful to honor your commitment and obey.

I would encourage you all to spend some time, as I did, in 1 Timothy 6:6-20. Much of this passage has been seared into my heart. "With food and clothing, with these we will be content."

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter